In looking for a recipe that was lactose intolerant friendly, I found the apple crisp recipe below. Steve said it was the best apple crisp he had ever had, so I thought I would pass it along for anyone who might be looking for a new, quick, and easy dessert recipe. Like I said, I needed to make a lactose intolerant friendly dessert so I could serve it to a friend, but you could obviously use regular butter and ice cream.
Ingredients
For the Filling:
- 10 cups peeled, cored apple pieces
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 T corn starch
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 3 T water
- 1 T lemon juice
For the Topping:
- 2 cups 1-minute oats
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 cup dairy-free soy margarine, melted
Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil or grease 9" x 13" baking dish, or, alternatively, smaller baking dishes for individual crisps. Set aside.
2. Make the filling. In a medium-large mixing bowl, toss the apple slices with the sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, water, and lemon juice until evenly coated. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
3. Make the topping. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the oats, flour, sugars, chopped pecans, baking powder, and baking soda until well combined. Add the melted soy margarine, mixing until the mixture is consistent. Using your hands, crumble the mixture over the apple mixture.
4. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold, with dairy-free vanilla ice cream if desired.
No comments:
Post a Comment